If you ask somebody why he or she has gotten into debt, you may get answers like these:
- I really don't know. I've just lost track of my spending.
- Convenience. I'm always rushed, so I buy things that will save me time.
- It is easy. The credit is there, so I use it.
- There are lots of things I want, and I hate to deprive myself.
- Everybody else does it. Why shouldn't I?
- I've had one or more emergencies in the past year that have gotten me into financial trouble.
- I can't stop spending.
If you would give some of these answers, it is time to think about the long term. What things will you be missing out on in the future because of the choices you're making now? A "yes" to number 6 means a focus on the short term. You need to get back on your feet. A "'yes" to number 7 may mean that you need to deal with the issues that cause your behavior.